Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Taste - Roald Dahl

No summary can do Roald Dahl's stories justice. The joy of reading Roald Dahl's writings lies in actually reading and digesting them in the original articles. We go word after word, follow the twists and turns of each stories, and finally arrive at the most unexpected ending which most of the time leave readers the freedom to paint their own ending for the stories.

I was reading Taste, here is a part of his writing which I truly appreciate:

(Richard Pratt, a famous gourmet in the story, was tasting wine. This was his description of  the wine he was tasting as he's on a bet with his host, Mike Schofield, about the origin of the wine.)

... Margaux? No. It cannot be Margaux. It has not the violent bouquet of Margaux. Pauillac? It cannot be Pauillac either. It is too tender, too gentle and wistful for Pauillac. The wine of Pauillac has a character that is almost imperious in its taste. And also, to me, a Pauillac contains just a little pith, a curious dusty, pithy flavour that the grape acquires from the soil of the district. No, no. This - this is a very gentle wine, demure and bashful in the first taste, emerging shyly but quite graciously in the second. A little arch, perhaps, in the second taste, and a little naughty, also, teasing the tongue with a trace, just a trace of tannin. Then, in the after-taste, delightful - consoling and feminine, with a certain blithely generous quality that one associates only with the wines of the commune of St. Julien.

Now you feel like taking a sip of that wine, too, don't you? The satisfaction of reading, however, still depends on reading the entire story. I was reading this story as I was waiting for my dinner to be served in a mamakstall. When my food arrived, I still couldn't put the book down! So I finished the story when I absent-mindedly feed food into my mouth.

And I grinned as I read the ending. Brilliant ending :) Yes, no spoiler. Go read the story yourself!

2 comments:

Xu Vin said...

charlie and the chocolate factory says it all! :D slurps!

Gine said...

Yes, that is an enjoyable read, too! :D