Thursday, October 21, 2010

I use rubber for protection.

I'm back to the days I wrap myself in the white lab coat, pull rubber gloves over my hands, hair tied into pony tail, and smell of chemicals all over my clothes, hair, skin.

And working with a bunch of fun lab people!

Or do Indians usually joke more than other races? I always thought "Hey bro" were first used by/ more natural to Indians in Malaysia culture. Of course they know when to be serious and all. But if you've worked in a lab for 14 years already and still surviving the routine, you must've found a good way to stay amused.

One of the things I like about them:

I am the only Chinese in my lab. There are another two Malay colleagues, and five Indian colleagues. The radio was tuned in to a Tamil station. I didn't really mind because I wasn't even listening to it. Dr, Joshua walked in to give some instruction, and suddenly he suggested to the lab (Histopathology) :

"Hey I think from now on we have to tune in to Mandarin station la, ok? If not, Cher Linn cannot understand."

I was touched and didn't know how to react. I smiled and suggested English station would be good. And soon they changed it Fly FM. And later someone played some old English classics from a CD, and they hummed along once in a while.

Aren't they blessings from God? =)

2 comments:

Xu Vin said...

i imagine 5 jonathans in the lab. :D very very very funny indeed! oh no cher u have to train not to laugh non stop in ur workplace :P

Gine said...

Come to think of it, they do have some similarities with Jonathan! They speak in Tamil among themselves most of the time with occasional translation. So I don't really understand, but from the look of their facial expression and response, they do seem like joking with each other. And Jonathan is good in this ;-)