Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The 8th month

Ever since I moved to Subang for this new job, I find it harder to depart from BM to KL every time I come back home. I first noticed it during Feb this year. Then April. Now, June. I have been staying away from home since my national service back in early 2004. Each year after that I spent less than 4 months at home. At one point I actually thought Penang is just some really nice place to live in, but I still can live without, and one day I'm going to call KL/ Klang Valley area my home and there would be where my heart belongs.

I've lost touch with most of my secondary school friends and honestly I only miss one or two of them. If they're not around town, then I'd really have no friends in this place. It's not like in KL, where the thought of leaving it and my bunch of friends teared me. It's not difficult to explain why I thought I wouldn't have social life if I stay back in Penang.

Maybe because I no longer have the luxury 2 months semester break to laze around at home, which makes me want to depart for KL to "do something". Maybe because of my aging parents who make me want to dine at home more.

Last night I was eating out with my parents at some hawker place beside the road. It's just a simple place with a stall and some tables with stools, but they're famous for their roast pork rice. Hence many customers were already waiting there for their take-aways. I noticed a guy around my age was there, in his formal attire, probably just after work. For some unknown reason, it popped in head (and maybe, heart) that even Penang guys could give me that homely feeling which guys I met in KL couldn't. And I didn't even know that guy in formal attire!

But, really. It's my 8th month staying in Subang and I still don't fancy that place. At times, I even hate it. Not only it's dangerous, thanks to snatch thieves, or lousy food, but also because it's hard to travel around. Public transport is not as efficient as it is in KL, and the taxis don't freaking use their meter. And if you do drive, there are loads of tolls and traffic jams, too.

The only thing that sustains my joy in that place is my work. By the sound of it, I'm pathetic. Don't tell me to be contented with what I have. I think the (rich) people in Subang should raise their standard instead. It's not just the food, mind you, though one of the reason I hate Subang is because of food. This time around, every time I have a meal in Penang, I can't help but ask myself: What was the shit I ate in Subang all this while? Note that I have never used the s word in my blog. Past and present blog. Never.

I guess now I am really getting the real punch of working in the city.

No comments: