Thursday, March 31, 2011

Kepercayaan kepada Tuhan

It's the first among five of our national Rukunegara. Teacher told me because it's the most important compass for a nation. I didn't understand why religion was important back then. Grades were, weren't they? Bad results meant more strokes on the butt.

Slowly I understand what faith and religion are, and acknowledge God as the mighty and all powerful Creator, and how all wisdom to life are from Him. That's when I see religion as the most important compass for a nation, for family, for an individual. Our direction in our daily life, the way we act or guidance for decision should depend heavily on our religion. Because religion is what show and guide us to the truth and the light.

I want to believe in what I claim to believe in: The five Rukungara, starting with Kepercayaan kepada Tuhan. I want to make religion the most important compass for my life.

But someone is trying to stop us from doing so. The way our Malay-speaking Christians are forbidden to read or even to own a copy of our Holy Scripture is in exact contradiction to encouraging one to make religion the compass of his life. Because in Malaysia, the BM Bible is claimed as a threat to national security. I do not agree with the way they label my Bible. But one has right to freedom of expression. Because what I don't like should not stop others from claiming their rights to do things which they are allowed to do.

Similarly, what they don't like about my religion should not stop my fellow brothers and sisters from practising their religion, i.e., meditating on His Words and pray to Him in the language of our choice. Freedom to religion is (stated in black and white in) the constitutional and fundamental human rights as enshrined in Article (11) of the Federal Constitutional and Article 18 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

The whim of the majority does have the power to oppress the right of the minority. Except that in this case, they're going against the God all mighty, not just His followers. Haven't they started to wonder why they never actually win this war?

Let's stand up against injustice. It's not just for yourselves, it's for your future generation as well. If you do nothing now, the future generation is very likely to follow suit, to give in to more injustice. What you do or don't do today will impact the future.

No comments: