Saturday, March 12, 2011

Hope

Sometimes we ask God why our lives are so ordinary that we feel like God doesn't really have a great purpose for us at individual level, or we're forgotten by God.

But actually, our prayers do work in marvelous ways we don't comprehend when things first happen. Or don't happen.

Tsunami hit Japan badly since Friday. News articles and videos are all over the web, which are not advisable for the weak hearted ones. With the nuclear plant exploded, I am too afraid to read the analysis of the consequences. Most people say it's not that bad. I just want to stay ignorant this time.

Then I remember there is this debate tournament in Tokyo, Japan, which I was quite interested to participate at first. It's the 20th ICU Tournament in International Christian University. The tournament was planned to be held exactly during this weekend.

Thank God I didn't go for it. I believe there are many more incidents which I did not know how God has shielded me from.

I have a close friend whose younger sister has been studying in Tokyo, but is recently back in Malaysia for her semester break. I thank God that she is back at home right now. Because if not, her family will be very worry about her. And I will, too. Because I cannot bear to see my friend upset.

If I were to choose, I'd rather have a corrupted government than natural disaster at my country. The incident somehow made me slow down and ponder on the value of life yet again. And things that I couldn't forgive at first seem so trivial now that I just want to let go.

There are many things we can do in life. But life is very short indeed. There are many people to fall in love with again, to hug again, to slap their butts again, to laugh with again, to cherish again, to tell them how much you appreciate them being them, and there are many ways to do these, again and again. And as typical Malaysians, we're running out of time to taste all the good food again, to wake up to nasi lemak breakfast again.

Why waste time hating?

I am sorry to hear about the loss of lives in Japan due to the tsunami.

Father, please save us.

No comments: