Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Hold It Against Me (Britney Spears) by Kurt and Sam

I was watching this cover arranged by Kurt Schneider and sang by Sam Tsui on Youtube, and was truly impressed by their creativity and talent.

To be honest, not all of their covers are better than the original counterpart. Such as their Just The Way You Are (Bruno Mars) cover, I still like the original version better. And maybe their DJ Got Us Falling In Love (Usher) cover, too. In my opinion, Sam doesn't suit singing party songs. His voice are more suitable for acapella songs or the kind of songs such as the one I embedded here.

Well, rumours have it that it is Kurt who is doing all the arrangement and uploading job for their songs. Yet it is quite apparent that Sam gets more attention and praises then Kurt does. Sam does deserve his praises for his wonderful voice and talent in making full use of his vocal range. Not to ignore is his cute looks (Am I the only one to be reminded of our Darryl Tan by looking at Sam especially in this video clip?), too. But Kurt's presence is hard to be missed, too. In this video, he is the guy who plays the drum pad next to Sam. Look at the way his fingers dance on the pad! It adds the heartbeat to the song.

It's not a new trend that many dance musics which are composed of techno tunes are in the market. Many of them are received relatively well by audiences of this age. Britney's come back in heavily techno-rised song is not surprising, if you were to refer her second latest album.

Tune wise, Britney's Hold It Against Me isn't really that bad. But Kurt's arrangement and Sam's powerful singing give the song another character. The lyrics somehow become more touching and the tunes are given a proper life! I still think true voice beat techno musics all the time.

Lastly, if you were to listen closely, Kurt managed to insert a tiny fragment of Gimme More (listen to the singing) and also Stronger (listen to the piano some where following that) into this cover. See if you can recognise it :) Not just this, they also have other mesh-ups of two songs and the results turn out to be good as well.

I am the type of fans who do buy original albums if I really like a singer. This is not the first time I hear their songs in Youtube. And as I was enjoying this video clip, I kept wondering if they sell their songs in CDs form, also, so that I can just hunt all of them down in one trip to the music record store. I know they do sell their songs in iTunes. But well, I'd be over the moon to have all their songs compiled in CDs.


No comments: