Saturday, November 13, 2010

Lost Count of Days

I notice I have this tiny forgetful problem when it comes to public holidays since I started my working life. It tends to slip from my mind that some days are public holidays and I don't work on public holidays. Some of my colleagues may be scheduled to work on that day, but not me. For your information, I don't even have on-call.

When I was still with previous company this calendar year, everyone was excited about their Merdeka day holidays. It's some sort of like an extended weekend and many took leave on certain days to make it even longer. Colleagues were talking about their plans and trips with their families. I listened to them and was being asked about my plans, too. And it was our MERDEKA Day, I couldn't possibly overlook this day in my calendar, right?

Not really.

I needed to be reminded on the day before that I didn't have to work the next day because it was Merdeka. When my colleague asked me was I going home for the weekend I went blank and said it'd be too rush to go back Penang then come back on the next day, then she went blank after hearing my reply, too. And we managed to gather that I had forgotten that the next day was Merdeka day.

The same happened during the last Deepavali as well. That time I was already with my new (current) employer. The same thing happened as aunty Collene asked me for lunch on that day and I told her I couldn't do lunch before 12 noon as that's my lab's schedule. Well, if I don't work on that day, there's no lab schedule to follow.

However, the part that get worse is; I even lost count of the days in a week now. I nearly forget that today is Friday. And I only work half day on a Saturday, which is a day after Friday. I keep it at the back of my head that there's a debate training camp this weekend, but it always seems so far for me that I can't believe it's here already. And I also have forgotten that the BigBadWolf book sale starts from tomorrow, too! Sigh, guess I never have the chance to go for the crazy book sale. But the main reason is because of transport issue.

Seriously, working on a Saturday really kills my Friday-night-and-the-weekends mood. I no longer shout Yay Friday because it doesn't mean anything to me now. Neither do I shout Yay Weekends because after work, I barely have time to go anywhere during weekday nights, and barely have energy to go anywhere during the "remaining" weekends. It's slowly coming to be that every morning as I wake up I have to get ready for work. If not because of public holidays, I don't have chance to sleep past 8:30am now as I'm also waking up early for church on Sunday morning.

I am starting to think that Wey Wen is right. It's time to get a good calendar notebook. I used to use Google calendar. But now I barely have time online and I am actually thinking I should cut down time online so that I can spend more time on daily quiet time. Hence dependence on virtual calendar/ planner maybe isn't a good idea.

That's all from me today. I just came back from Young Adult Cell Group [YACG] with a bunch of church mates from Subang Jaya Gospel Center [SJGC], the church that I am attending now. It's a fruitful evening :) Still, I am struggling to finish this note of expression here before I collapse on bed. If you're new to my blog, this could be the first glimpse of yours at how important a blog to express is to me.

Cheers and have a good weekend, people! *yawn*

1 comment:

Xu Vin said...

phew... i guess working on an extra saturday morning reli does make a huge difference..! yeah an offline calendar is more reliable.