Wednesday, November 21, 2012

A land of blood and tears

The last time I cried, it was when Datuk LCW apologised for not winning Olympic badminton for Malaysia. Lately I've been crying for the victims in war zones. I can't help it and I can't explain why does this war mean differently to me as compared to other wars. The conflict between Israel and Palestine aches me deeply.

Israel said it's the right to self defence, and the retaliation was justified because it was the Palestinians who started it. Palestine said oh yeah, after all the oppression, we are now pushed to the corner, and then I shot a rocket at you, you call that right to self defence? How about my right to self defence?

It ached me when a Palestinian father cried to the Lord, with the dead body of his 11-month-old baby in his arms. It ached me when I knew that throughout the past few months, Hamas had fired 12,000 rockets at Israel. Though many were intercepted and casualty was not as high as in Palestine, I don't think any country deserve rocket treatment.

I do admit, there are many things I haven't read up about this spot of bother. At the same time, arguments for both sides race each other in my head. Ultimately, I wish human can just stop fighting. Please stop fighting now, I beg you.

Many called Jesus silly when he asked His followers to turn the other cheek. It is indeed a very hard thing to do. But it's not as difficult to understand the principle behind. Even if Israel has the right to self defence, would you, turn the other cheek for Palestine? Please? Even if you have been prosecuted as Palestinians, would you leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge, I will repay,", please?

Every dead person on the street is not just a statistic read out by newsreader to me. It has the same value as mine, for my Lord chose to died for you and I, and them, too.

"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth,'. But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you." [Matthew 5:38-42]

"Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God' wrath, for it is written: 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord. On the contrary, 'If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.' Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." [Romans 12:17-21]

1 comment:

Xu Vin said...

Thanks for bringing up and reminding me of this verse. I guess the only thing we can do from here is to pray for all the people and the leaders of both sides.