Thursday, May 5, 2011

(Iron) Bird Watching

There's an airport near the place I am staying right now. Hence, when I occasionally look up into the sky, I can see a plane is taking off, flying steeply gaining altitude.

As a sun-sneezer, normally I can't look at the plane in the sky long enough before I shut my eyes and sneeze. When I am interrupted by this, I will go back to what I am doing. The plane will then be taken off from my mind, too.

Today, I had the opportunity to stare at a plane in the sky for a longer period, because I was in my colleague's car, hence I didn't sneeze. I saw the iron bird flew steeply up, then changed direction, and slowly, it disappeared from my sight.

When I was small, I was always excited to spot a plane in the sky. It's even better if it's a helicopter! The reason is simple: The sky looks more interesting when a plane visits it. And even when I've grown up, sometimes I still get excited over the sight and point it out to my friends around me: Look! A plane!

A friend used to reply: So what? Haven't you seen a plane before?

It prompted me to think for a moment. What is it in this event that stirs me up? Now I know why I am always transfixed with the sight of plane up in the air.

I am amazed. When everything is being pulled down by gravity, it still can go up, higher and higher. Knowing that it is a giant metal container carrying its own huge engines and hundreds of passengers in it makes it even an even impressive sight. If I was the person who was being laughed at by suggesting man can fly too before a plane was invented, then came the time man witnessed this iron bird flew steadily in the sky, I would smile and ask: so who has the last laugh now?

I feel hopeful. I love it when I look up to the blue sky, I see patches of white fluffy clouds decorate the heaven. Because I know such beautiful sight has its Creator, the same Creator who creates me, too. It assures me that there is still hope out there, there is a bigger world out there to explore. Hence when I see a plane leaves the ground to venture into the sky out there, it reminds me that at that very moment, someone is heading to their own destination, somewhere else. It might be a new place for them. It might be their sweetest home they are returning to. It might just be a fun vacation trip for some. And I wonder if it's at some exotic island with beautiful beach and sand so fine that you'd love to walk barefoot on it. Hopefully one day, I might be going for one of such trips, too.

I feel sentimental. Someone I love might be on the plane, leaving. And a tiny part of my heart may leave with that person, too. I always wonder where its destination is. Would it be flying back to my hometown, too? Would anyone I know be thinking of me when they see this same flight later?

I hope I will never have the day to lose my excitement upon seeing an iron bird in the sky. What was once impossible has now become possible. Life is getting more and more exciting!

No comments: