Monday, August 15, 2011

Police

I was on my way to 7-11 nearby when I witnessed a police tried to prevent a car-theft. He threw himself onto the front of the car to make the car stop. There were some other police officers came to help to stop the stolen car from being driven further away, too, by blocking its way with police vehicles.

The thief finally gave up. He opened the car door and ran away. I have to say he was smart, because the only person who could have caught him at that moment was immobilised. The said police's leg was severely injured by the car.

How severe was the injury? Well, I don't know. I heard a trained, tough policeMAN groaned in agony, again and again. He fell on the ground.

I was stunned and scared. For some reason I was afraid to approach the police, thinking that I might disturb his duty. Finally I ran to him and asked if he's ok. I didn't call ambulance because I knew the nearest hospital (the hospital I am working at) didn't have ambulance service. I didn't call police because his colleagues were around already.

Slowly, passerby gathered. Many were discussing how this policeman was such a brave hero. That was true, but apparently not the most important thing to do! I went around asking:

"Is anyone sending him to the hospital now?"

mumble mumble

"Hey, can we send him to the hospital now? The hospital is just right here, down the road, can we just send him there first?"

Someone asked:" Has anyone called the hospital?"

"No, we don't have to! That hospital here doesn't have ambulatory service and it's less than a 5-minutes drive. We only need a car to send him there!"

mumble, discussion, someone said they can use the police car to send, someone said the police was trying to see he can walk.

Eventually someone helped him into the nearly stolen car and drove away.

It left me thinking: many blamed the police for not protecting the best interest of the people during Bersih rally. But how many are aware of the protection that exists now? You have police that is willing to die to defend and protect you. Maybe not all police are as committed. But there are still police who wear the royal police badge with pride and dignity, who live out its sanctity.

The day after the rally, I read from NST an article by Zainul Arifin.

"Bersih 2.0 was attracting counter-rallies that suggested security would be an issue. The police must react in anticipation of trouble, and not after the fact.

If Bersih 2.0 chairman Datuk S. Ambiga claimed that it was her constitutional right to assemble, then it must also be that if Umno Youth leader Khairy Jamaluddin and Perkasa chief Datuk Ibrahim Ali, too. Now, the three would have been a volatile mix. Should the police not have acted?"

And I also asked myself: How many of us has an occupation that require us to constantly be ready to give up our lives for others? Are you ready to let go of your love ones, comfort zone and the like, every time you clock in to work?

I don't. I clock in, thinking about my swimming session after work. I clock in, thinking that it's time I apply leave for debate tournaments during the weekends. I told myself not to cut my fingers while doing sectioning because that is the biggest hazard I can think of. And compare cutting my finger to losing a leg or even, life.

We do have heroes in Malaysia. Heroes without datukship. But Lord, please let them live long enough to tell their courageous tale themselves.

1 comment:

San Dee said...

Is that what came into your mind to get a car like?